NEONATAL CARE NETWORK 2017 (NCN)
1. Mothers at high risk of preterm birth <34 weeks’ gestation should be transferred to perinatal centers with experience in the management of RDS (C1)
2.Clinicians should offer a single course of prenatal corticosteroids to all women at risk of preterm delivery, from when pregnancy is considered potentially viable up to 34
completed weeks’ gestation (A1).
3.A single repeat course of antenatal steroids may be appropriate if the first course was administered more than 1–2 weeks previously and the duration of pregnancy is <32 –34 weeks’ gestation when another obstetric indication arises (A2).
4. Antenatal steroids can also be considered for CS not in labour up to 39 weeks (B2).
However, there should be a clear medical reason to do an early CS, and elective CS should not be performed <39 weeks’ gestation.
5.In late preterm pregnancy at risk of early birth, a course of antenatal steroids may also be considered provided there is no evidence of chorioamnionitis (C2).
6. In women with symptoms of preterm labour, cervical length measurement should be considered to prevent unnecessary hospitalization and use of tocolytic drugs and/or antenatal steroids (B2).
7. Clinicians should consider short-term use of tocolytic drugs in very preterm pregnancies to allow completion of a course of prenatal corticosteroids and/or in utero transfer to a perinatal centre (B1).
8. Antibiotics should only be given to mothers with preterm prelabour rupture of membranes.
- Quality of evidence
– High quality A
– Moderate quality B
– Low quality C
– Very low quality D
European Consensus Guidelines on the Management of Respiratory Distress Syndrome – 2016 Update
Sponsored by: abbvie EGYPT
- Prof Abdel Rahman El Mashad (Tanta univ)
- Prof Afaf Korraa (Azhar univ)
- Prof El Sayed Khalaf (Port fouad hosp, ministry of health)
- Prof Iman Eskander (Cairo univ)
- Prof Hesham Abdel Hady (Mansoura univ)
- Prof Hesham Ghazal (Alexandria univ)
- Prof Magda Badawy (Cairo univ)
- Prof Madiha Abdalla (Minia univ)
- Prof Magdy Kamel (Minia univ)
- Prof M Abdel Aaal El Bagy (Sohag univ)
- Prof Morad El Alfy (Al Galaa military center)
- Prof Nahed Fahmy (Cairo univ)
- Prof Nayera Ismaeil (Ain Shams univ)
- Prof Raguia Atwa (Ain Shams univ)
- Prof Safaa Shafeek (Ain Shams univ)
- Prof Sozan Gad (Suez canal univ)
- Prof Osama Hussein (Port said neonatology society)
- Prof Osama Kasem (Al Galaa military center)
- Prof Yehia Mahmoud Basha (Damanhour teaching hosp)
- Prof Zahraa Ezz El Deen (Cairo univ)