NEONATAL CARE NETWORK 2017 (NCN)
1.Body temperature should be maintained at 36.5–37.5°C at all times (C1).
2.Most babies should be started on intravenous fluids of 70–80 ml/kg/day while being kept in a humidified incubator although some very immature babies may need more (B2). Fluids must be tailored individually according to serum sodium levels and weight loss (D1).
3.Sodium intake should be restricted over the first few days of life and initiated after onset of diuresis with careful monitoring of fluid balance and electrolyte levels (B1).
4.Parenteral nutrition should be started from birth. Protein can be started at 2–2.5 g/kg/day from day 1 and can be increased up to 4 gm/kg/day in extremely low birth weight infants (B2). Lipids should also be started from day 1 and quickly built up to 3.0 g/kg/day as tolerated (C2).
5.Enteral feeding with mother’s milk should be started from the first day if the baby is haemodynamically stable (B1).
- Quality of evidence
– High quality A
– Moderate quality B
– Low quality C
– Very low quality D
European Consensus Guidelines on the Management of Respiratory Distress Syndrome – 2016 Update
Sponsored by: abbvie EGYPT
- Prof Abdel Rahman El Mashad (Tanta univ)
- Prof Afaf Korraa (Azhar univ)
- Prof El Sayed Khalaf (Port fouad hosp, ministry of health)
- Prof Iman Eskander (Cairo univ)
- Prof Hesham Abdel Hady (Mansoura univ)
- Prof Hesham Ghazal (Alexandria univ)
- Prof Magda Badawy (Cairo univ)
- Prof Madiha Abdalla (Minia univ)
- Prof Magdy Kamel (Minia univ)
- Prof M Abdel Aaal El Bagy (Sohag univ)
- Prof Morad El Alfy (Al Galaa military center)
- Prof Nahed Fahmy (Cairo univ)
- Prof Nayera Ismaeil (Ain Shams univ)
- Prof Raguia Atwa (Ain Shams univ)
- Prof Safaa Shafeek (Ain Shams univ)
- Prof Sozan Gad (Suez canal univ)
- Prof Osama Hussein (Port said neonatology society)
- Prof Osama Kasem (Al Galaa military center)
- Prof Yehia Mahmoud Basha (Damanhour teaching hosp)
- Prof Zahraa Ezz El Deen (Cairo univ)